Ridley's family has owned a holiday cottage on the Isle of Jura, off the South West coast of Scotland for almost 40 years. Sarah and Ridley are very happy to be the current custodians of Lorne Cottage, and after some extensive renovations, we're planning to open up for self catering holiday bookings later this year.
Lorne Cottage is in the heart of Jura's main village, Craighouse, and a short stroll away from all of the amenities of the village; hotel, community store, cafe and the village hall.
With sea views over Small Isles Bay and literally a stone's throw from the beach, it's a beautiful location.
You can find out more info on the Jura Lorne Cottage website or check availability below.
Lorne Cottage Availability
What's On In Jura
- Lussa Gin distill by hand in a traditional still in a converted stable on the Ardlussa Estate at the North end of the island. Using 15 botanicals which they grow or forage on the island, it's the 'spirit of island adventure'. They are also open for tours, check out the Lussa Gin website for details.
- Deer Island Distillers make a small batch Scottish spiced rum from the business units at Craighouse Pier, also just a short walk from Lorne Cottage. They have a distillery shop and also offer tours, check out the Deer Island website for details. They're also right next door to Konrad's beautiful photography gallery - The Whisky Island.
- Jura Brewery are still finishing the construction of their new brewery at their croft in Kiels, which is about a 15 minute walk. Their Laughing Stag is an easy drinking pale ale which you can find in the community owned Jura Stores, in the Jura Hotel bar, and from the Jura Brewery TrALEr at certain events.
- Jura Fell Race - this 28km fell race sees 200 competitors climb seven of Jura's summits on the last weekend in May. This is one of Jura's busiest weekends.
- Ardlussa Sports - this annual sports event is great fun for all of the family and raises money for local charities, it usually happens the last weekend in July. Events include tug of war, hammer throwing, barrel rolling and family races.
- Jura Regatta - this day of water based sports is usually held on the first Saturday in August. Events include open water swimming, rowing, kayaking, sailing and a raft race.
- Jura Music Festival - this great festival is usually held on the last weekend in September.